“June 2016 Income Report” is my very 1st income report ever! I never expected to see the growth I have seen in the past three months and am very proud of all I have accomplished in this short period of time. This post contains affiliate links so please check out the disclosure policy should you have any questions.
Welcome to June’s online income report where I show you how I made money this past month and where I see my blog heading in the upcoming months. This will be a monthly report designed to inspire others while keeping myself motivated. Hope you enjoy!
Why Publicize My Income Report?
Before I show you my income I want to show you my five main reasons for publicly displaying my income and blog stats:
- Before I started my blog I was under the assumption that the only way to significantly increase your income was to get a raise/promotion at your full-time job or get lucky in the stock market. Words such as side hustle and early retirement were foreign to me as I was always under the impression that you work until you are 65 (or older) and then you retire. If it were not for other bloggers publishing their income reports I would have never thought I could have a successful side hustle and retire early.
- I want to show others that making money on the side is possible. If you ever thought your income was not high enough I want to show you that if you put some effort into a side hustle you can make substantial money on the side or even a full-time career that can lead to a happier and more fulfilling life. Every income report will show different streams of revenue outside of my working salary.
- I enjoy analyzing numbers so being able to compare my different steams of income on a month to month basis is something that I find motivating. It shows me that all the hard work is worth it and hopefully it will inspire others. Being a millennial I would like to show my progress using infographics and pictures rather than a big block or words as I find that rather boring and harder to understand.
- I want to be transparent to my readers. Educating others about personal finance and making my readers financially literate is the main goal of my blog. Personal finance is a passion of mine which makes writing about this on a weekly basis very easy to do. However, this is also a business. Whenever you see advertisements or affiliate links in my post I want my readers to know that this helps generate income for the blog but are also beneficial for my readers to use.
- Lastly, I want to inspire other bloggers just like others have inspired me. I consider myself very new to blogging as I have only been doing this for three months. When I first started it was very hard to figure out how I should grow my blog and if my blog was performing well compared to others. I want to show those that are new to blogging my journey and all the things I did right and all the things I did wrong… and believe me I have done more wrong than right.
My 5 most viewed articles of June
- Dividend Growth Investing: Is It Right for You?
- Saving Strategies to Achieve Goals
- Lessons From My First Investing Mistake
- Who is Responsible for Teaching Financial Literacy
- Rationalizing the Price of Rent
June 2016 Income Report
I earned $200.38 in June, before expenses.
June was a groundbreaking month for me as it was the first time my blog made me a notable sum of money! I was finally able to clear those minimum requirements needed to get paid by my affiliate sites which was very exciting.
Breakdown of Income
This was my first attempt using an infographic so please let me know if the data was too hard to read. The pie chart is interactive so if you hover over any section the number should get bigger making it easier to read.
Here is the breakdown of my income…
Motif Investing: $103.50
- Motif is designed for millennials! They have no minimum fees and allow users to trade stocks for an industry low of $4.95 per trade. They are free to sign up for and I highly recommend them to anybody looking to invest in the stock market whether it be ETFs, stocks, or their one of a kind motif. If you want to check out Motif see my full walkthrough guide.
- If you would like to get Motif as an affiliate check out Flex Offers. It is free to sign up and has thousands of other advertisers.
- TradeKing was the first brokerage platform I used. I have since moved away from this trading platform to Motif as I believe they are better and easier to use while having the same low trading fee of $4.95. This sale came from a friend asking me about the platform so I referred him/her.
- Acorns makes investing easy! The app links with your bank account and credit cards rounding up every purchase and automatically investing the “change” into six different ETFs. The app is free to download and is super quick to set up. If you would like to try Acorns use my referral code as you get $5 for free as well as myself.
June Dividend Income 2016: $29.50
- I was absolutely shocked at how much I got in dividends this month. Ever since I started my dividend growth strategy two months ago I have pumped spare money into dividend stocks and was pleasantly surprised. This number will bounce up and down as most companies pay stocks every three months rather than every month so it will be interesting to watch the growth.
June Cash Back Credit Card 2016: $12.38
- This month I spent a lot of money on purchasing CPA materials, textbooks for my MBA classes and a trip to Six Flags. Thankfully my cash back credit card gave me a 2% discount on all these purchases. I do not expect this amount to be this high in the coming month as I usually spend far less. If you are interested in learning about a cash back credit card check out this article.
HostGator monthly hosting fee: $10.95
- I have yet to encounter any problems with HostGator and love that they have a monthly program rather than a yearly program. If you do not want to commit to a yearlong program I highly recommend trying them out.
Net Income: $189.43
Not bad for three months of blogging!
Breakdown of the Blog
For the month of June I had 8,923 page views which is my highest to date! I credit much of this increase to two of my post going viral on StumbleUpon which helped increase traffic. However, StumbleUpon is very unreliable for blog traffic so I do not expect this to be a recurring pattern with my blog. Moving forward I will be comparing this month’s views to future views to show you how my blog is growing or contracting from month to month.
June was a rough month for me as a blogger. In the second half of the month I saw my commitment levels drop towards my blog as I wanted to enjoy the warm weather outside with friends. This led to me missing one of my posting days which really annoyed me due to my laziness. Moving forward I am committed to posting at least every Wednesday and Sunday so my viewers know the days to check my blog. Consistency is key for blogging!
Moving forward I think July will see some major changes with regards to my blog and viewership. Five days ago I started using Pinterest and hope to see some traffic start flowing in from this social media platform. I have been told that Pinterest is the best social media platform for bloggers so I look forward to growing my presence through this social medium. One tool that I have found very helpful since I started using this platform is called Tailwind. Tailwind automates most of the pinning process with helps save me hours per week on this platform. If you are interested in trying this service for free check out this link to get started.
If you are a blogger, I have created a Pinterest board called Bloggers Paradise… thought the name was fitting as I am from the Caribbean which many call Paradise. Shoot me an email with your Pinterest email and I will invite you to the board.
July 2016 Goals
Being a competitive athlete for over 15 years made me a goal oriented individual. I believe that you cannot accomplish anything in life without goals as you are mindlessly wondering through life hoping everything falls into place. My goals will consist of blog goals and personal goals for the month of July.
July is going to be a very challenging month for me as I will be finishing my MBA at the end of this month while balancing a job and CPA studies. With this in mind I know that my blog will not be my main priority for the month but will still set challenging goals to push my limits.
- Page views: I would like to see my blog cross the illustrious 10,000 views a month mark! This will be a stretch for me based on past results but I will try to make it possible.
- Alexa rank: I would like to be ranked under 485,000 in the world by the end of July. This is by no means an easy goal but I hope to make it possible
- Social Media: Social media is the backbone of any bloggers viewership. Without social media we would have virtually no views which makes participating in various platforms crucial. Below are the platforms I currently partake on so feel free to follow me by clicking on the links. Here are my goals:
- Update: Create a “Start a Blog” page has been completed! It is about time I do this to help guide prospective bloggers.
- Exercise at least three times a week – You can’t enjoy early retirement if you aren’t healthy!
- Study at least three hours a day for my CPA exam – For some this may be too little but I have never been one to study very long for anything so this is torture!
- Get one week ahead in my article writing to avoid my mistake of missing an article due to procrastination. I believe getting ahead of schedule will help alleviate this problem.
- Have at least two guest post this month – Guest posting is a great way for my readers to learn about topics that I may not cover due to me still being in college so if anybody would like to guest post feel free to check out my Contact page and send me an email. Anything related to personal finance or saving money is welcomed.
Please feel free to leave any suggestions for improving this report or let me know if there is anything you would like me to expand on.
How was June for you? Are you interested in starting your own side hustle?